I’m sure you've heard about Argan Oil many times. Many celebs use it as their daily routine. And it can be a life saver, like literally!
You’ll be surprised to see that most skin care products rely on Argan Oil as their core ingredient. And I’m here to tell you everything you need to know about Argan Oil. I’ll also share with you our favourite Argan Oil products.
Argan Oil Vs Skin Oils
Many call Argan “The Liquid Gold” oil, it’s derived from the nut of the Argan tree. This tree only grows in Morocco.
Here is why it is different that other skin oils:
- Incredibly rich in antioxidants,
- Effective in decreasing signs of ageing (visible wrinkles decrease),
- Fade scars and fast healing abilities,
- It absorbs easily because it’s a dry oil. This means will not leave an oily residue,
- Falls in the middle of the spectrum—it’s not too heavy, not too light—making it perfect to use on all skin types.
Good for dry and normal skin, preventing signs of ageing.
Shopping Tip: Try this raw, cold-pressed, certified organic oil from Nature Republic - Argan 20º.
Argan Oil Quality affects your skin results Dramatically!
You’ll notice there are wild variety of Argan Oil price list on the market. And many claim it’s because of the brand name.
While this is partially true, but what really matters is the quality of Argan Oil.
If you are not familiar with Argan nut it’s very similar to almonds and covered with an external shell & a fruity outside pulp.
Argan Oil is extracted from these nuts. However, there is one condition that will ensure the quality of Argan oil and that is the exterior pulp must be intact (1).
If the pulp was missing, this means the argan nut has been picked and eaten by a goat and then digested and left out.
In that case, it smells incredibly bad!
Yet, what greedy companies do, they still buy these argan nuts and produce a smelly Argan Oil but of course, they will deodorise it. This process will kill any essential nutrients in the oil. And put it on the market at low price.
Not only is it unethical but it will not give you any benefit to your skin or hair.
Location of Argan Oil Extraction Also Matters!
After extensive research I found out that Argan trees grow in 5 regions in Morocco.
The five regions engulf the coastland of Essaouira, to the desert of Taroudant and the mountains of the mid and anti atlas (2).
Here is the interesting part, the soil quality, weather and environmental factors can make a dramatic difference on Argan Oil benefits.
The least quality, comes from an area around Agadir includes lots of agriculture, thereby exposing the trees of that region to chemical pesticides and fertiliser, so the oil from that region is rarely organic.
How Argan Oil is Harvested?
I actually had to dig more about if harvesting, extraction and storage affect Argan Oil quality. Well, it’s actually a big deal.
The process goes as follows:
- Argan nuts must fall on the ground (also not touched by goats),
- They take nuts and dry them for 7 days under the sun,
- The process of de-pulping and cracking by hand,
- Argan Oil gets extracted by machines and eliminate excess water & eliminate chance for bacterial contamination.
I also found that most farmers and hard working labourers are women. And sadly, most companies pay very low wages to provide a low priced Argan Oil.
For that reason, I made sure to choose brands that actually provides a fair wage to these hard working women.
Of course, Nature Republic & few other Korean brands works with cooperatives that pay a fair wage to the women and ensures that only the highest quality nuts go into its oil.
Recommend Argan Oil Products
1 - Nature Republic Argan 20º Oil Essence 40 ml
- It is very soft to apply like silk,
- Offers moisture and nutrients to skin to create radiant skin,
- Improves on skin elasticity,
- After using emulsion, take appropriate amount and apply over your face.
2 - Leaders Labotica Argan Oil Deep Cleansing Tissue 50 pcs
Formulated with Argan Oil, these deep cleansing tissues softly remove makeup and dead skin cells while cleansing and nourishing the skin.
- Dead skin cells,
- Dry and rough skin,
- Depleted skin.
- Removes make up and cleans the skin,
- Nourishes skin,
- Provides intense hydration.
3 - La'dor Premium Morocco Argan Oil 100 ml
- A nourishing hair oil that contains argan kernel oil, olive oil, and jojoba oil, delivering a high-gloss, super-smooth finish to all hair types,
- The vitamin-rich formula helps replenish rough, dry hair while restoring its water/oil balance,
- Free from harmful chemicals such as artificial colorant and parabens.
Cover Photo by Daria Shevtsova